Emergency plans need to include provisions for students with disabilities, such as learning and developmental disabilities, visual and hearing impairments, and physical limitations. Attention is also needed for students with limited English proficiency to make sure they understand the emergency procedures.
Things to consider in the planning process:
- Identify alternative evaluation routes and shelter for students with mobility problems
- Develop a communication system for the visual and hearing impaired
- Assign a buddy for each student with a disability
- Communicate with all students using a common vocabulary
- Train staff in procedures to assist students with disabilities